Registered and Endorsed Midwife.
I am a mother of a young adult who was born under the watchful eye of a gentle skilled midwife at our home on the beachfront into the water en caul.
I am a Bachelor of Midwifery graduate from Griffith Uni 2013. I’m currently 2/3 of my way through the Masters of Primary Maternity Care (Griffith Uni).
I’m also a masseuse, counsellor, artist, healthy food maker, potter, cyclist and permaculture gardener.
What I Offer
- Free initial consultation to meet each other.
- Women centred evidence-based care (within my scope of practice as per the Australian College of Midwives guidelines for Consultation and Referral) Antenatal care with Medicare rebates, homebirth, postnatal care for up to 6 weeks.
- One off appointments, antenatal package, full kit and caboodle (pregnancy, homebirth and postnatal care), postnatal package, antenatal plus postnatal package.
- Well mother and baby checks, referral for complex situations.
- Referrals for blood tests and ultrasounds.
- Service a 30 minute radius from Cairns.
- Expected appointment schedule includes a booking visit from pre-conception or anywhere in the first trimester.
- Birth preparation including mindfulness, optimal maternal and fetal positioning, nutritional support, care in your home, surrounded by your loved ones and those you trust.
- Two midwives for your birth, primarily in partnership with Elizabeth Jinks of Tropical Babies Midwifery.
- Equipment for unexpected emergencies (oxygen, instruments, cord clamps, oxytocics, resuscitation equipment, IV cannula & fluids, suturing equipment, hospital back up booking).
- Prescription for medications if required.
- Full baby check.
- Breastfeeding support.
- Baby massage.
- Legal paperwork for baby registration.
- Neonatal screen.
- Baby Red book.
- Baby weights.
- Community supports/networking.
Values / Philosophy of care
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a midwife?
A midwife is a trained registered professional who is an expert in normal pregnancy, labour, birth and 6 weeks postnatal.
Is it legal to have a home birth?
Yes it is, although no insurance currently exists for the labour and birth portion, which makes it expensive for women and families.
What will it cost?
We wish it was government funded, but unfortunately not yet. We need more lobbying of governments members and hospitals to provide more publicly funded homebirth models of care. For women with a government issued healthcare card a discounted rate of $5,500. For all others the total cost is $6,500. You will be invoiced throughout the childbearing year. Payment plans are welcome.
Is it medicare rebateable?
Medicare rebates exist for antenatal (pregnancy) and postnatal care. So from the total amount paid, about $1,500 will be medicare rebateable.
Midwife in Private Practice
Offering pregnancy, homebirth and postnatal midwifery care to women in FNQ.
Cairns, Qld, Australia
Error: The account for bethshortermidwife needs to be reconnected.
Due to recent Instagram platform changes this Instagram account needs to be reconnected in order to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page